It only takes spending a moment with a toddler to see the wide-eyed wonder during this rapid stage of development. Toddlers and Preschoolers are our specialty here at Cubic Frog®, so we know a thing or two about this incredible part of life, even so there are some facts we simply can’t get over!
Here are a few amazing facts to add to the list of what makes toddler time so important…
Top 5 Cubic Frog® favorite toddler development facts:
1. You know that stuffed animal your child loves, well it turns out a toddler’s instinct is to be most attracted to shapes that resemble the human face. Which is why their favorite, most comforting playthings are usually squishy and circular.
2. Their ears may be tiny, but they sure are mighty. During toddler development, ears can pick up higher frequencies than other children and adults, which is why they are most sensitive at this age to all loud noises and more responsive to music stimulation!
3. Toddlers are all switch-hitters. Most one-year-olds are ambidextrous, designating a predominant hand by the age of 2 or 3. 90% of American toddlers will grow up to favor their right hand, although scientists have yet to find concrete evidence as to why.
4. Word of the day? Try 5-8 words a day! Vocabulary is increased at an unparalleled rate during this time. During toddler development, they learn on average an astonishing one word for every two hours awake.
5. No wonder it’s so hard to keep up with toddlers, the average toddler take 176 steps a minute! Most research suggests this is the most active time in our entire lives.